Sunday, August 18, 2013

Getting Healthy ~ Week 1


 Last week I began my path to becoming healthy. It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been impossible to do. I've started by reducing my portion sizes and adding 2-3 snacks in-between my meals, drinking 8-10 cups of water daily and exercising a few times a week.

I wake up around 6:40am every morning, I jump out of bed and get ready, prepare breakfast, clean up, pack lunch and out the door to play in traffic. Of course there are days where I hit the snooze button, later get up in a rush leaving me with no time for breakfast. Since the first week of any diet is a little stressful, the Hubs and I tried going to bed by 10pm so we're able to get enough rest and not feel so tired in the morning. 

This week  I thought I should try having a protein shake for breakfast just to get in the habit of having breakfast every morning. Let me tell you this has worked perfectly, even when I'm running late, I'm able to have my breakfast while I sit in traffic.

I've also started snacking. At 10:30am I have an apple, or a banana, or a 1/4 cup of almonds, or an orange, 1 cup of grapes. Since I started snacking this week, I find that I'm not as starving when lunch time comes around making me want to eat everything in sight. 

Also drinking water throughout the day has kept me feeling full. By lunch time, this 33.8 fl oz bottle of water is gone.



 I figure if you're supposed to drink 8 glasses of 8 oz of water daily, this bottle equals to a little over 4 glasses, so if I have 2 bottles that makes 8. And it's not stressful to see 3 empty bottles of bottles of water and think shoot I still have another 4 bottles to drink.


At lunch I usually have salads, or chicken and vegetables, some days I'll have tuna with 2 MultiGrain CrispBreads by Wasa. The Hubs say they taste like cardboard.



I'm also substituting my dinner with another shake. What ever was prepared for dinner that evening I have for lunch the next day. 

Before bed time, I have a 4 oz glass of orange juice and mix 1 tablespoons of Chia & 1 tablespoon of Flax Seeds in it. Chia seeds is a great source of healthy Omega 3-fats and Fiber.  Flaxseeds are also a great source of healthy Omega 3's, Fiber and Lignans. I gotta warn you...when you wake up in the morning, you'll poop like 10 lbs. TMI I know. :)
You can pick a bag of either for a few bucks at Whole Foods. 

A few weeks before I started,  The Hubs and I did a lot of research on healthy eating, exercising, and all kinds of healthy stuff. We came across this documentary on Netflix called "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead".  Where this guy named Joe started a juice fast for 60 days and lost 100 pounds. You can read more about it HERE In the past, the Hubs had always talked to me about juicing but we never really took it seriously and after watching this documentary we've included juicing into our meals. We substitute one or two meals with a juice, usually at dinner time. I've found a bunch of juicing recipes HERE.

I'm sure there are people like me who are very antsy and find it hard to wait to weigh in. For me weigh ins are on Sundays. There were times where I would weigh myself every 2 days, until it back fired on me. One day the number on the scale had increased and I freaked out! Thankfully when Sunday came around the number I was looking for was there.

I haven't done any exercising this week as I didn't want to push myself since I've reduced my portions and have replaced my meals with shakes or juicing.

Here's where I am today...

Weight Lost: 6 pounds

Measurements:
Hips: 53"                      L Bicep: 14.5"                L Calf: 17"
Waist: 42"                    R Bicep: 14.5"                R Calf: 18"
Neck: 14.5"                   L Thigh: 28"
Bust: 47"                       R Thigh: 30"





No comments:

Post a Comment